Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bodhisattva Light Video

It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet. Franz Kafka from Aphorisms
This moment of light refraction one morning begged to be recorded. Then came the question of what sound to place with it. I just purchased a H2 Handy Zoom Digital Audio Recorder and I am loving it! The wind chimes evoke the atmosphere of the space outside that caused the movement of light in the video.

I have included a still from the video for a closer look. The figure in the foreground is a life size statue of a monk I made with porcelain and other media in 1990-91. His warm presence graces our front hallway. His countenance reminds me of the compassionate heart of Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, hence the title of this piece.
There is quite a long story with many moments of synchronicity involved in his creation. Here is an example for me of an artwork as guide for my spiritual journey. His creation was both a postcard from the trip and a road map for what lay ahead. I just love it when my artwork does that!
We had my talented niece, Gaia, staying with us this past week. At age 16, she is already an accomplished artist with a bright future ahead of her. You can see samples of her work on her blog, www.gaiaweise.blogspot.com It was great to spend a week together filled with art making and deep conversations about art and life.

No comments: